Instant Information

 

ii - ANTI-FREEZE POISONING SYMPTOMS, TREATMENT

 

Anti-freeze can be fatal to pets if not treated quickly. Instant information on symptoms, emergency treatment, poison control phone numbers for animal poisoning.

 

Anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning must treated within 6 to 8 hours. Anti-freeze can result in nervous system damage and kidney failure from as little as two tablespoons licked up by a small dog. Symptoms may be noticed within 30 minutes or delayed as long as 12 hours depending on the amount ingested. Emergency information below.

 

Antifreeze is a virtually odorless usually bright green syrupy liquid most commonly used in car radiators which often leak, leaving an enticing puddle.  Antifreeze is also in de-icers, hydraulic brake fluids, photography chemicals. Due to its sweet taste, antifreeze may be licked or swallowed by children and dogs.

 

If your child or pet is showing any of the common signs of poisoning below, examine the mouth, noting any foreign substance. Smell the breath as he exhales. If it smells "sweet" (like pancake syrup) that may indicate anti-freeze poisoning. Check paw pads; they absorb toxins. Also think about (check) any other chemicals, cleaners, pesticides, or prescription drugs the dog or child may have accessed.

 

Symptoms of Antifreeze Poisoning In Dogs

include but are not limited to: unsteady movement, vomiting, depression, increased urination and thirst in the early stages, progressing to disorientation, seizures, decreased urinary output, and severe kidney (renal) damage.

 

Untreated dogs may die from kidney failure within three days. Prompt treatment to prevent renal failure is essential. If your dog has been exposed to antifreeze, watch him closely and at the first sign of symptoms, get him to your veterinarian.

 

If your vet is unavailable, call poison control 1-800-222-1222 and it will automatically connect to your state. Depending on who answers, you may get quick, basic information for animal poisoning and it is free, 24-7.  Or you may be referred to ASPCA 888-426-4435 which charges $65.

 

www.wikihow.com ~ "If your vet or poison control center says it's okay to induce vomiting, give your dog 3% hydrogen peroxide, which is available at your local pharmacy. It is the preferred vomit-inducing product for dogs. Give your dog one teaspoon hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of body weight."

Copyright TheDogPlace.org 20091712r   http://www.thedogplace.org/ii/Anti-Freeze-poisoning-symptoms-treatment.asp

 

ii Dogma: 3-A   -   click to share this Instant Information   -   ii NetPlaces Network