The Raisin - Grape Debate
Hello, I wanted to respond to your article about dogs and
grapes/raisins and share our recent experience. Wednesday
evening at approximately 5pm, Sanya (an 11 month old, 45 lb
Siberian Husky) inhaled approximately 1/4 cup of raisins and
about the same amount of raw almonds while my husband went to
get a glass of water. At the time we thought little of it other
than to reprimand her for being naughty and eating the food.
We noticed absolutely no change in Sanya's behavior.
At about 1am Friday morning, Sanya began throwing up and had
some diarrhea. She was throwing up some of the
almonds but no raisins. She was still not feeling too well by
about 8am. After a little research (originally to see if
almonds were harmful to her) we found all the articles about how
toxic raisins were to dogs.
We called the vet and Sanya went in about 10:30 on Friday. By
this time she had stopped vomiting but was still experiencing
diarrhea (however, it should be noted that she has quite a
sensitive stomach and often times new foods will bring on a
round of diarrhea). As a precaution the vet wanted to keep
Sanya for 24 hours in order to give her an IV with fluids, etc
as well as be able to take 2 blood tests to monitor for kidney
damage. After Sanya had the IV she perked up quite a bit and by
the afternoon she was hopping up in her cage each time someone
would come by her. Her first round of blood tests came back
perfect. She continued to perk up through the night and by
Saturday AM she was more than ready to go home. A second blood
test proved that she was just fine. Her appetite is completely
back to normal and she is just as happy and energetic as ever.
Still on medication for diarrhea this week, but as I said
before, she has a sensitive stomach.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write your articles
and help calm a little of the hysteria surrounding dogs and
raisin/grape poisoning. We were in such a panic as we were
reading article after article stating the huge risk of renal
failure, etc. (your article) helped me to think
a little more logically about the situation. I think we did the
right thing in taking Sanya to the vet in order to be sure there
wasn't a larger problem, but I really think she had nothing more
than an upset stomach (more from the almonds it appears) and
some dehydration. Thanks again for your logical and informative article. I hope our story is helpful for your research. Rachel
On The Grape Vine: If
it were an authentic and serious problem, I would think there
would be plenty more dogs taken ill. Pet owners and dog
fanciers have fed raisins and grapes without problems...
granted, these may have been GSD-size dogs with just a single
bunch of purloined grapes, or half a box of raisins, and there
may be more of a problem if a Chihuahua eats the same quantity
(unproven in any tests I know of), but I suspect hysteria is
more of a factor than fact.
I have grape vines. Many
times, when I have been away for several days on a show circuit
during peak grape-ripeness times, or have been busy elsewhere in
the gardens, my GSDs have pretty much picked the vines
clean. Never an ill effect. Yes, it's "only" a testimonial, but
it has not been a problem for me.
Best way to find out is to
fund a research project, Feed some groups of dogs raisins, some
grapes, and a control group regular food, and see what happens.
Whether lab research dogs are used, or a population destined for
euthanasia at a dog pound, the answer might be obtained through
Fred Lanting (Editor's Note: Fred
is an organic chemist and German Shepherd breeder-judge)
Raisins Killed: Several years ago my German Shepherd mix broke into
our pantry and ate about a cup of organic raisins. This was before we
had ever heard of raisins being a potential toxin for dogs. She became
ill within a few hours and we took her to the vet. She went into kidney
failure and became paralyzed. Prior to eating the raisins she was in
perfect health and had just had a vet check to confirm that a few days
before. We do not keep any poisons at the house and there were no
poisons in her system. You can bet I will not give raisins to any dog of
mine. I read a report that some dogs have a specific gene which renders
raisins or grapes toxic to them, but there is no way to test this and
you won't know until the dog eats them.
Scare: I have been frantic since yesterday because a
grape fell on the floor and my dog who just had puppies 2
days prior ate it. I gave her a couple probably 4. I did
not know about any problems with grapes. The vet called to
see how things were going and I happened to mention a gave
her a couple of grapes...why I don't know. They told me
that grapes are toxic to dogs but said to watch her to see
if she throws up, has diarrhea or is lethargic. I was
scared all day yesterday... actually frantic. Today she is
still fine and there are no side effects.
So reading your
article has made me feel incredibly better. Just for the record I
will never give my dogs grapes again.
Killer Grapes: Just a note on your
article, “Killer Grapes & Raisins.” I fed my dogs grapes for
decades and only stopped when I heard they may be the “killer
fruit.” I had a Lab that would have jumped over a cliff for a
grape. As you know I love animals of all kinds and this debacle
over fruits that will kill your beloved or the pet food bought from
your favorite pet shop or grocery store is unnerving to say the
My son objects to the diet that I fed Alexandria
for almost 10 years. When I brought her to the states I had a vet
tell me he had never seen such great health in a dog of her age.
When the vet asked me what I fed her, I told him my recipe. The Dr.
said it was perfect. My son's vet said, “No human food!” Go
figure. I KNOW grapes wont kill a dog. I don’t know about the bag
of dry dog food I buy from the store!
Raisin Boat: My 12 1/2 year old
beloved Malamute got ahold of some cookies loaded with Raisins.
She got severe BLOAT, spent 2 days at the ER vet re-bloating &
then on the 3rd day passed away. When they were flushing her
out (or whatever you call it) the 1st time, they commented on
the abundance of Grapes she had ingested. It turns out it was
Raisins that produced the horrendous gas build-up.
While grapes / raisins may not be "poisonous" , they certainly
can be lethal. Please alert your readers & say "Thank You" to
the Poison Control Center for including Grapes & Raisins on
their list. Kathe
Grapes, Raisins Poster: I was at the vet today for rabies and heartworm
on one of the dogs and I thought you should know that my vet has a
poster up in his office that pictures foods that should not be given
to dogs. Along with onions and chocolate the poster pictured grapes
and raisins and pointed out that they could cause kidney damage.
for Grapes: I had a grape vine in my yard which was
loaded with unripened grapes and a Pom puppy ate enough that
he was bloated up with them and standing around groaning. I
gave him Mylanta and pulled the vine out of the ground so it
would not happen again but I did not even take him to the
vet. Next morning he was running around the yard like
nothing ever happened. So much for the story about even one
grape killing a dog ? Regards,
Died Of Raisin Poisoning: Eight
years ago my 9 year old Basenji died of Raisin poisoning. She was a
healthy active female in excellent condition. She was in acute renal
failure 2 days after eating raisins left out by my sister. I work at a
Veterinary Clinic & my dog got the best of care. We contacted Poison
Control & were advised to get her to OSU Vet school for dialaysis. By
the time we arrive it was too late. She was the 13th reported case. We
harvested her organs & sent them to the University of Illinois for
research. The May 2001 issue of JAVMA had a article on Raisin poisoning.
A close friend also had a Cardigan Welsh Corgie poisoned by raisins
after eating a loaf of Raisin bread. After aggressive treatment the
Cardigan pulled thru. Becky & the Ninjas
Raisins, Grapes, ASPCA Poison Control Debunked!
Dog Poisoned by Grapes? Dalmatian ate 16 chemical and pesticide-free grapes, she rang her vet in U.K. who
had never heard of grape poisoning but prescribed a treatment anyway!
Grape/Raisin Veterinary Info - Courtesy of Liz Hassinger, DVM - As a veterinarian and member of the AVMA and AHVMA, I would like to
forward to you the following information. This is the best we've got,
but it's enough evidence to make most vets take notice and share the
info with their clients.
Grape Fears Toxic To Dog Owners Raisins or grapes are far less
toxic to dogs than is the fear created by the ASPCA, Animal Poison Control and
the ruthless veterinarians who prey on dog owners.
click to send this article to friends
1Dog require digestive enzymes, here's where they get them.
1Recalls continue but ASPCA's APSS denies food-related problems.
1Dogs are 10,000 times more likely to die in surgery than by "Killer Grapes"
Choose real canine nutrition instead of doggy junk foods.
*None of the statements
contained herein as regards human or animal health have been evaluated by the
FDA. Information is provided for educational purposes only. We are
required to advise you to always check with a licensed veterinarian or medical
doctor. Information or products offered are not intended to diagnose,
treat, cure, or prevent any illness, disease, or condition, whether animal or
human. This disclaimer is due to FDA restrictions designed to protect you,
the consumer. It does NOT however, protect you from malpractice,
prescription drugs, or vaccines.
back to Canine Nutrition Information or
TheDogPlace.org for authoritative free DogCare information
If you breed or show dogs, get your news at TheDogPress.com
Judges, professional and owner handlers, be sure to visit TheJudgesPlace.com