CANINE HEALTH IS...
Professionally landscaped yard? Look around for hazardous fruit, vegetable or decorative plants that can be attractive but deadly to children and pets.
DANGEROUS AND HAZARDOUS PLANTS
by TheDogPlace.org Staff
Veterinary toxicologist's warning, photos, descriptions of common landscaping and indoor plants dangerous to children and pets, plus Poison Control hotline phone number.
You would never allow a three-year old child unsupervised access to the yard or garden but it's not uncommon for dogs, particularly puppies, to be poisoned by plants in your own yard! Veterinary toxicologist Dr. Safdar Khan warns that many plants "have the potential to cause serious, even fatal systemic effects when ingested.” The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (phone number below) lists the five most potentially dangerous plants to pets. TheDogPlace.org has added photos to help you recognize potentially toxic plants. We suggest you print this page and save it in your pet's records folder or notebook so you can find it if you ever suspect your dog has been poisoned.
Click on plant photos to enlarge, photos open in window, close window to return here
* LILIES, rank number one in dangerous plant can volume at the APCC, and are highly toxic to cats. Says Khan, “It is clear that even with ingestions of very small amounts, severe kidney damage could result.” An owner in Pennsylvania lost her cat to kidney failure from ingesting only a small portion of an Easter lily. Lilies are beautiful but dangerous plants! Peace Lily (right) can cause mouth ulcers, vomiting and diarrhea.
* AZALEAS, indigenous to many eastern and western states and commonly used in landscaping, contain substances that can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, and central nervous system depression. Severe cases could lead to death from cardiovascular collapse. Enjoy the colorful hardy Azalea but limit use to restricted areas.
* Frequently used as an ornamental plant, OLEANDER contains toxic components that can cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, hypothermia, and potentially severe cardiac problems. The stunning white flowers belie this plant's toxicity. It may be best for front yards where children and pets do not play.
* Also a popular ornamental plant, SAGO PALM, can potentially produce vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures, liver failure, and even death. One pit bull terrier in Florida became ill and subsequently died from liver failure after chewing on the leaves and base of a sago palm in his yard. Bull Terriers like to walk under the leaves (Bullies are funny that way) and although the trance-like behavior is not to be confused with a toxic reaction, they are best discouraged.
* Although all parts of the CASTOR BEAN plant are dangerous, the seeds contain the highest concentration of toxins. Ingestion can produce significant abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and weakness; in severe cases, dehydration, tremors, seizures, and even death could result.
If you suspect that your pet may have consumed one of these dangerous plants or any other potentially toxic substance - contact your veterinarian or in an emergency call 1-800-222-1222 the National Poison Control Center who will automatically connect you to their free service in your state. Depending on who answers, you may get quick, basic information for animal poisoning and it is 24-7.
Other Toxic Plants, Fruits & Vegetable Parts print this page
Copyright © TheDogPlace.org 1312159r1712 r1804r http://www.thedogplace.org/HEALTH/dangerous-plants.asp