Toy Fox Terrier Information
TheDogPlace.org Breeder Interviews Online©
With Violet Denney
President, National Toy Fox Terrier Association, UKC All Breed Judge
Note* ShowSight Seminars, developed by "BJ" Andrews, were so successful that the magazine has continued the format. We have expanded her original concept so that even more people can learn and participate. As Mrs. Andrews points out to judges, “knowing what you need to know is fundamental to the learning process. If it isn’t even mentioned, how would you know you missed something important?" Therefore, breed experts are posed the same questions in the same order with the request that responses be candid, succinct, and directed towards the serious student of the breed. Many judges have said that these interviews helped them get the most out of subsequent seminars.
1. What is the single Biggest misconception about your breed?
V: That they are yappy nasty little ankle biters. They are a small working terrier.
2. What is the most defining physical characteristic?
V: The head. The distinctive coloration with the wedge shape, tan eye dots and chops, erect ears and alert inquisitive expression.
3. Which behavioral characteristic most typifies the breed?
V: A sense of fun, adventure, and a close empathy with their humans.
4. What is the most common judging mistake in your breed?
V: Not moving them around the ring in a big enough area nor long enough to let them get into the correct movement to judge their gait properly.
5. Would you prefer the breed be judged standing or moving?
6. Is there a breed related cosmetic alteration judges should be aware of?
V: Blackening used on the nose or backs of the ears or head to cover a pink nose or brown coloring on the backs of the ears and back of the head.
7. Which fault is of greatest concern to breeders today?
V: Luxating patellas and weak rears.
8. Is there any one thing you would like to see changed in the breed standard?
9. Name one way in which the breed has most improved in the last 10 years.
V: More substance, better legs, better toplines. Overall better dogs.
10. What are the three words that best describe your breed?
V: Intelligent, empathetic, active.
Thank you for your time Violet.
Copyright © TheDogPlace.org 2008 http://www.thedogplace.org/BREEDS/Toy-Fox-Terrier/Denny-Violet.asp
TheDogPlace.org for authoritative free DogCare information
If you breed or show dogs, get your news at TheDogPress.com
TheJudgesPlace.com especially for Judges, professional and owner handlers.